Goals provide a sense of direction, motivation, and clarity. In setting goals, you are providing yourself with a target to aim for.
A SMART goal is a tool to guide us and to keep focus and energy.
SMART is an acronym that stands for Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic, and Timely.
SMART goals are:
- Specific: What it says on the tin!
- Measurable: We should be able to measure the progress of the goal
- Achievable: Allow the goal to be attainable
- Realistic: The goal should be doable! Within reach and realistic
- Timely: It's essential to set a clear schedule and a 'done by' date that you will stick to
It is common to set unrealistic goals the result being a loss of direction, momentum and belief.
SMART goals set you up for success, they keep you focused and ultimately will support you to reach your goals.